Understanding and Vision
We need new ways to understand this complex and richly interconnected medium:
- Indonesians may have a cultural advantage in this area.
- Postmodern philosophy's notion of constructedness provides perspective.
- Anything complex must involve a history of viable progenitors
Key concepts for understanding the Internet have come from unlikely sources:
- Ted Nelson coined the term "hypertext" in the 1960s and has dedicated his life
to delivering his vision of "Xanadu".
- William Gibson introduced the notion of "cyberspace"
in a classic work of Science Fiction published in 1984.
- In cyberspace, conventional cues of place and status are often absent.